Sunday, September 22, 2013

"Midnighters 2: Touching Darkness" by Scott Westerfeld




Midnighters 2: Touching Darkness Scott Westerfeld (released 2004)
(Book 2 of Midnighters series)

Book one - Midnighters: The Secret Hour - was so good!  I couldn't wait to read the second book, but I was so disappointed with this sequel.

The Midnighters are searching for the truth about the secret hour and discover that there are daylighters who know about the secret hour, and are working with the ancient creatures in the secret hour against the Midnighters.

The premise sounds very exciting, but it was a s-l-o-w read.  The book is 439 pages, but it would have been a better story if the book was cut in half.  I felt like there was so much filler in the book that wasn't needed.  The author spent too much time on Jessica's frustration with Jonathan not touching her during daylight hours and little things that lead up to the big climax, that I didn't feel like were necessary to the overall story.  I had trouble wanting to read this book, until page 213 when things FINALLY picked up.  Once it got interesting, I stayed up late until I finished it.  But I almost called it quits in the beginning because it was so boring.  However, the way they left Touching Darkness makes me want sot read the third installment.  I just hope it's pacing it like The Secret Hour, which I couldn't put down, and not Touching Darkness, or I may not care to keep reading the series.

Final thought: The first book was so good I'm willing to forgive the pacing of the second book for the sake of continuing the series.  The second half was really exciting and a page turner, and I wish the whole book was like that, because I felt like the first book, The Secret Hour, was.

No comments:

Post a Comment