Saturday, January 4, 2014

"Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices)" by Cassandra Clare




Judge a book by its cover
My sister and I read the Mortal Instruments series when it first came out, and we LOVED them; so of course we started reading the Infernal Devices series.  Cassandra Clare never disappoints.

Synopsis
There is so much that goes on and I can't possibly touch on everything!

Clockwork Princess picks up right were Clockwork Prince left off.  Tessa Grey is special, and Mortmain wants her as her bride, but the Shadowhunters can't figure out WHY Tessa is so important to Mortmain.  

Jem is engaged to Tessa, and while Tessa loves Jem, she also loves Will.  Will is in love with Tessa but hides his feelings because he doesn't want to hurt his parabatia Jem, because if Jem knew he loved Tessa, Jem would sacrifice his happiness for Will's.  Jem is slowing dying but when Mortmain cuts off the supply of yin fin to manipulate Tessa into giving herself in order to save Jem's life, you see just how complicated the love triangle between Jem-Tessa-Will actually is.

Tessa gets kidnapped during an attack on the Institute and is taken to Mortmain's hiding place in Cadar Idiris, in Wales.  Since Jem has fallen deathly ill during the attack on the Institute, only Will can save Tessa.

There is also a story line involving the Lightwood brothers, Charlotte, and the Consul Wayland.  But let's all admit - Tessa-Jem-Will is the main focus.

Humble Opinion
The best book that Cassandra Clare has written yet!  It's been a while since I've read the Mortal Instruments and the first two books of Infernal Devices, so I could have just forgotten how good the previous books were but... I loved this book.  Even through there were several story lines going on at once, I never got confused or felt like they were just "filling" as you grow to like the Lightwoods, and hate Consul Wayland.  

But the main story, between Jem-Tessa-Will is heartbreaking!!  My sister cried three times.  Maybe I'm not as sensitive as her, because I didn't cry until the end, but my heart did break several times through the book.  I actually said, "Oh my God my heart!!" twice, but it was the final scene/epilogue that brought me to tears.  Damn you Cassandra Clare!

There were a few moments that made me confused because of events that happen in the Mortal Instrument series that pertain to events in Infernal Devices.  My sister cleared them up for me, since she had googled the answered after she read the book, but I'm still left wondering...

Final say
Clockwork Princess is the perfect ending to the Infernal Devices series.  It wraps up everything I wanted wrapped up.  It breaks your heart, keeps you on your toes, then breaks your heart all over again.  If you want a heartbreaking, yet satisfying conclusion to the best love triangle of all time - this is the book for you.  JUST READ THE FIRST TWO INFERNAL DEVICES FIRST!!


No comments:

Post a Comment