Sunday, August 31, 2014

"The Red Pyramid" (Kane Chronicles, Book 1) by Rick Riordan

Judge a book by its cover
I very much enjoyed Percy Jackson, and I really like Egyptian history/mythology, so I figured I would like this book.

Synopsis
Since their mother’s death, siblings Carter and Sadie have become near strangers, only seeing each other on Christmas. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother, Carter, has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane.

During their annual family reunion, Dr. Kane takes Sadie and Carter to the British Museum, where he hopes to "set things right". Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives.

Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them, Set, has his sights on the Kanes and wants to destroy the world.  In order to stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe.  But along the way, they discover the truth about their family, their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs, and that Set isn't the only God that made it out of the Rosetta Stone that night.


Humble Opinion

Rick Riordan doesn't disappoint.  His books are filled with so much action, they are hard to put down!  I love it!

Unlike with the Percy Jackson books and the Greek gods, I don't have much knowledge on Egyptian mythology.  I've always been fascinated by Egyptian gods, but all I knew was: Ra is the sun god, Anubis has something to do with the underworld, Osiris has something to do with the underworld, Isis is a female god, and Horus is a god with a falcon head.  That's about it.  LOL

I felt like after reading The Red Pyramid, I know a little more about Egyptian mythology, but there is still so much more I want to learn!  I feel like I would have gotten more out of the book had I known more about Egyptian mythology, but I still very much enjoyed the book and look forward to reading the next two!

I only had two qualms about the book: 1) Sadie's age and 2) the end.
1) Riordan is trying to establish a possible love interest between Anubis and Sadie, which is interesting, but she's only TWELVE!!  I can't... I know that twelve year olds have crushes and, now-a-days do a lot more... but she's twelve!!  I can't root for a twelve year old and "sixteen year old looking" god!  It feels gross!
2) *SPOILER ALERT*  Carter and Sadie spent the WHOLE BOOK trying to defeat Set, but then at the end they decide to make him an ally instead of banishing/killing him.  WHAT!?!?  I'm sure this had to be done for plot purposes for the next two books, but COME ON!  All the sudden the two protagonists "trust and befriend" the evil God?!  Seriously??

Final say
Totally enjoyed it.  I would re-read it again in heartbeat.  Super quick read because I didn't want to put it down!  I look forward to continuing the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment