Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What I Love About New York

New York is unlike any city in the world. Here are some things about New York that make it unique that I love:
- Seeing a business man in his suit & tie walking a miniature wiener dog during his lunch break
- So much yellow!!! (Yay taxis!)
- You can wear whatever you want and no one thinks anything of it. You actually find something about it to be cute, no matter how crazy looking it is
- How different each section of New York is. Soho is so different from Midtown, which is different from Harlem, which is different from the Upper East Side which differs from the Upper West Side, which is nothing like the Financial District... and each of these places are so close to each other! I know IMMEDIATELY when I go from Chelsea to Union Square to Greenwich. It's bizarre and cool at the same time.
- The tunnels are so cool. My fave it Park Ave tunnel. It looks so old and creepy, and then you pop up right in front of Grand Central Station, which is the coolest site ever! The first time I did that I gasped.
- A lot of people have dogs, and a lot of places allow you to bring your dog to work! =)
- The old buildings are just so freaking cool to see. And then to see them next to newer skyscrapers... it's awesome
- The lights of Times Square. Even at night it looks like daylight even at night.
- The parks are so nice. Maybe it's because there isn't a lot of "greenery" in the city, but I love seeing the parks. It's so tranquil.
I went to Bryant Park the other day with my friend Carolyn at night, and there's an open field were people were just laying around and reading because there is a light from of the building shining into the park like bright moonlight. It was so cool!
-Watching a traffic cop keep a car from making a turn by standing in the way, then walking along the side of the car so it couldn't turn around him until it was out of the intersection. It was the funniest thing ever! I was more than willing to stay through my greenlight to watch this!
- Motorcyclist weaving in and out traffic. It's scary and so awesome at the same time. I actually prefer to WATCH the OTHER motorcyclists do this, rather that I be the one to do it.
- The syncronated movement of taxis switching lanes is like a magical dance. Its incredible how they don't run into each other as they all switch lanes together.
-Ice Cream trucks are located every few blocks, along with Falafal trucks, taco trucks, smoothie trucks, the occasional waffle trucks and the sacred cupcake truck. (The cupcake truck is rare. You never know where it's going to be...)

No comments:

Post a Comment