Friday, August 16, 2013

"Beta" by Rachel Cohn



BETA - Rachel Cohn (released October 2012)
(First book in the Annex series)

I haven't read or seen Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, which Rachel Cohn also wrote, so this was my first exposure to her writing - and I approve!

The title and cover are appealing enough that I would have picked it up if I were browsing a bookstore.

The story is about a sixteen year old girl, Elysia, who was made to be a subservient, soulless clone/slave for one of the families who lives in an utopia like island called Demesne.  Only Elysia is discovering that maybe she's not as soulless as she's supposed to be, because she's having feelings she wasn't "programmed" to have.

The concept is very intriguing.  The idea of soulless clones being created to be slaves, or "companions" as they are called, is not only disturbing but strangely fascinating as well.  The people of Demesne don't see anything wrong with having compliant "companions" because they aren't suppose to feel; which makes the reader wonder - if cloning soulless people really could happen, would people enslave them since they aren't considered real people?

Cohn also creates a world that is utterly mesmerizing.  The reader can easily picture the island's landscapes and it's residents in their head, because Cohn paints the picture so clearly without her bombarding them with boring details.  The characters feel rich, and full, and like people the reader would know in real life.  The story is told with precise timing.  It doesn't feel like Cohn is taking too long to tell the story, nor does it feel like she's trying to push too hard to keep the story interesting.  Cohn makes if effortless for the reader to connect to Elysia, since they get to learn about the world right along with her.

I found it was so easy to slip into "being" Elysia in the story.  I felt invested in the character and I kept wanting to keep reading!  I was as hungry for knowledge as Elysia was.  I read the book fairly quickly because I didn't want to put it down.  There are two exciting twists in the book that kept me wanting more.  When I finished, I wanted to read the next one!  I believe the second book is published, and I can't wait to continue the journey!

Final say:  Read the book!  It's quick, easy, and hard to put down.  You'll stay up at night trying to finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment