Friday, August 16, 2013

"Born Wild" by Julie Ann Walker



BORN WILD - Julie Ann Walker (to be released November 2013)
(Part of the Black Knights Inc series)

Even a YA lover, like myself, needs to have a little trashy romance in her life. ;)

I normally don't read romance novels, but since my friend picked it up for me, I couldn't NOT read it... The title and cover look like a typical romance novel to me, and that man's body on the cover is delicious to look at so, had I been browsing in the adult romance selection, I may have picked this up on my own, but I'm not sure.

I believe there was possibly a prequel to this book?  They reference another event a couple times in the book, and since Born Wild is a part of a larger series, I would guess that there may be another exciting story about Bill and Eve.

Bill is an ex-Navy SEAL who now works as part of a covert special ops team, under the cover of a motorcycle garage.  (What's not sexy about this so far?)  Eve is a socialite who believes someone is trying to kill her.  Bill and Eve have a history, of course.  Back in college they used to date, but then Bill went off to military training and Eve married another man. (For shame!)  But since Eve doesn't know who to trust and the cops don't seem to be helping her, she turns to her old flame Bill and his covert team, which saved her once before. (The story that is referenced a few times that could possibly have been a prequel.)

The story is full of action, which I really liked!  There's enough action and suspense, that I think even a GUY would like reading this book!  It wasn't all sex, sex, romance, sex.  In fact, for a romance novel, there was very little sex!  A lot of tense, teasing, just-do-it-already build up... but the action and mystery of the story really propelled the story forward.  There's shoot outs, and car crashes, and sexual tension, and father-daughter drama... it's the complete package!  Honestly, I enjoyed trying to figure out - who is actually trying to kill her.  Bill and Eve were nicely developed characters that were believable, and they were genuine enough that you did root for them to air out their difference and end up together.

I actually found myself thinking about this book several weeks after I finished it.  I would play the "epic scene" (not the sex scene) in my head and expand the story in different ways or change little things.  I like books that make you keep thinking about them.  From an aspiring director's point of view - I pictured this story as a movie the entire time I was reading it - which makes it a good book for me.  If I can picture it as a film, then the story is solid enough to stick with me.

Final say: Why not read it?  If you're normally not a romance novel reader - this is a good book to wet your whistle.  If you're a normally a suspense novel reader - you will thoroughly enjoy this book... and the added sexual bonuses.


No comments:

Post a Comment